quarta-feira, 4 de setembro de 2013

The X Factor Australia 2013 Top 11


 (this is the same intro as last week, so don't mind reading it again, it's just for the record)



Hello! How y'all doing? It's been a long time since my last post so I decided to start something new that will make me post more regularly. I'll be commenting on and rating The X Factor Australia 2013 performances, from the Top 12 (first live shows) and on! A good reminder to the people who might reading this is that this will be entirely based on my opinion, I never studied music or any experience on performing or anything like that so it's perfectly ok to disagree with me once you respect it. I'm doing this purely for fun and to keep using the English language. So, here we go.

Note: While the opinion is 100% mine, the format I'll be using and the overall inspiration to review the contest in a blog comes from Music is the door blog, so please, consider checking his/her blog as well.


Now let's go to the point...



  
First of all, I was really disappointed with last week's elimination.  I was not expecting Adira-Belle to go home so early, and specially, I didn't expect all the judges to vote them out (although, I think Dannii would have sent Barry home if she could).  But the show must go on so let's watch the Top 11 perform, under the theme "Legends".


(click the video to watch the performance)
JTR - Can't Get You Out of My Head (Kylie Minogue)

Performance: 7
I would have loved the production if it had been a different performance, but I'm just not sure about the connection between their version of the song and the staging.  I mean, If you watch the performance with the sound turned off, you can't really imagine the guys singing it that way.

Vocals: 6
The only decent part about their vocal performance was the "la la la" part, the rest of it sounded very weak and limited to me.  I'm gonna give them some credit for having the guts to be performing this in front of Kylie's sister and specially for having Natalie as their mentor.

Song: 5
To be very frank, I was expecting it to be a lot worse, what the hell was this song choice for them? They turned a disco classic into a cheesy teen song - which would have been acceptable if they had at least developed it well.  But all in all, no, just no.


Joelle - Rude Boy (Rihanna)

Performance: 8
It was a great performance, I like the moves, the dancers, the attitude, I just don't feel like saying I loved it, maybe because of the song.

Vocals: 8
She sang it great and I really love her tone, but since that was not the best song choice for her, once again she didn't have the opportunity to really shine.  Also, the falsetto went great but she should have tried to hit the higher note Foo wanted, I see he likes his acts to take risks and so I'm afraid that might shake their relationship a bit.  She really needs to expand her range as well.

Songs: 6
Oh, I hate this song, I was so disappointed to see she was going to sing it because I really dislike it.  Rihanna has way better songs, even if she fell into some of those oversang songs, it would have been a lot better this one, it didn't suit her voice at all.


Cat Vas - Can't Take My Eyes Off You (Frankie Valli)

Performance: 9
Oh, I adored it, the production was simple yet classy and picturesque, it really went along well with the song and the whole vibe of the performance.

Vocals: 9
Great performance vocally, unlike last week, she definitely connected with the song and delivered the message well, she sounded really great and her falsetto is beautiful.

Song: 8
I love how Dannii is experimenting with Cat and stripping her back this week was a wise choice.  But the thing is, as much as I loved her version of this song, I wouldn't say she was edgy enough to make it through to next week, she has never been the most popular contestant and I'm just not sure if this was enough to put her through.  I hope so because I really want more.



Omar Dean - Roxanne (The Police)

Performance: 8
The performance as great, I like the stage and I see him becoming more comfortable and safe on stage.  Performance-wise, I liked it.

Vocals: 3
Last week I said he was the best male vocalist in the competition and I don't take it back but this sounded awful to me.  His tone, his interpretation, I'm sorry for those who enjoyed it but it couldn't have sounded any worse to me.

Song: 4
Bad song choice, didn't go well with his voice, no, not ever do that again, Ronan.


Jiordan Tolli - Thriller (Michael Jackson/Imogen Heap version)

Performance: 10
After last week's worrying performance, this was not only one hell of a relief, but also, an spectacular performance.  THAT's what I was talking about when I asked for more of her theatrical skills and the stage looked gorgeous, the atmosphere looked really really great.

Vocals: 10
Yes! Incredible vocals, incredible interpretation, gorgeous tone, amazing story-telling, really epic.  Best performance of the season so far.

Song: 10
Giving her Imogen Heap's version to sing (although they should have given Imogen the credit) was a brilliant idea.  Great one, Foo!


Jai Waetford - I Want To Hold Your Hand (The Beatles)

Performance: 8
It was a good performance, I like the vibe and the lyrics floating on the screen behind him.  Yeah, just that.

Vocals: 7
He simply does not impress me, his voice isn't special to me and this was not great.  I maintain my opinion that he should have been sent home to mature his voice.

Song: 8
For some reason I was expecting him to sing this song, but I was expecting him to sing Chris Colfer's version, which is more focused on the vocals with little instrumentation.  It was a decent song choice.


Barry Southgate - Freedom '90 (George Michael)
Performance: 9
Once again, I see how he takes advice and wants to grow better, I think this was a great performance, great energy and production, I liked it.

Vocals: 8
His voice still doesn't stand out to me though.  It's good, he sings well, but he doesn't captivate me.

Song: 9
This was a great song choice for him and I feel like Dannii is doing and great job and make him a better artist.  I feel like he won't be in the bottom 2 tonight.


Taylor Henderson - Run To You (Bryan Adams)

Performance: 9
Nah, I liked it.  I like the tapes of him walking/running in the background and I like that he showed more attitude in this performance.  He still doesn't impress me but it's way better than his last performance.

Vocals: 8
He was great, still very average and not amazing at all to my taste, but he was great.  With a better song choice I can see myself enjoying him more.

Song: 8
Great song choice but he still did not grab my attention.


Ellie Lovegrove - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (The Rolling Stones)

Performance: 10
Ellie was tonight's surprise to me.  Oddly enough, she seems to work better out of her comfort zone, I loved the performance, the acting, I was totally not expecting that but it worked really well.  I have to say it was a bit cabaret for this song but I enjoyed it anyway.

Vocals: 9
She sounded great despite some problems here and there, it was way better than last week, I'm satisfied.

Songs: 9
Foo seems to be handling well these unexpected song choices for his artists, I thought it was a great decision to show people this side of her.  Another point for him!


Third D3gree - Till The World Ends (Britney Spears)

Performance: 10
They smashed it once again, that was even better than last week's performance.  I don't think they will win but they MUST at least go to the finale.  Special note to Jacinta, who danced the hell out of the song.  Kellebek might be amazing but I think the judges should give more credit to her and Jordan too.

Vocals: 9
They were great, it surely wasn't perfect because it's really hard to sing and keep the energy high as much as they did in this performance, it was great, the only thing I really didn't like about it was Kellebek singing some different words through the chorus like "bring it up" and stuff like that, it bothered me a bit to be honest but they're still amazing.

Song: 10
Awesome song, awesome song choice, awesome energy, everything was put together really amazingly.


Dami Im - Purple Rain (Prince)

I'm not even gonna split the categories because honestly, what do I have to say about Dami? She smashed it again.  She should change her name do Dami "Wim" because like Ronan said, until now, the competition is hers.
My ranking for tonight's performances:
1 - Jiordan Tolli (10)
2 - Dami Im (10)
3 - Third D3gree (9,6)
4 - Ellie Lovegrove (9,1)
5 - Cat Vas (8,8)
6 - Barry Southgate (8,6)
7 - Taylor Henderson (8,4)
8 - Joelle (7,6)
9 - Jai Waetford (7,6)
10 - JTR (6,3)
11 - Omar Dean (5,4)
My ranking for the live shows (I'm going to be weighting the scores, 1 for the first live show, 2 for the second and so it goes.  This way, I can evaluate the contestant's growth on the competition)

1 - Dami Im (10)
2 - Third D3gree (9,5)
3 - Jiordan Tolli (9,4)
4 - Cat Vas (8,8)
5 - Ellie Lovegrove (8,6)
6 - Barry Southgate (8,4)
7 - Joelle (8,2)
8 - Taylor Henderson (8,2)
9 - Jai Waetford (7,7)
10 - JTR (6,6)
11 - Omar Dean (6)

I do prefer Joelle over Ellie and Barry though, I just don't think tonight song choice favored her.  For the elimination, I'm expecting Omar and JTR to be in the bottom 2, but since JTR is popular among the girls, I'm betting on Ellie or Cat to take their places.  I think Barry is going to be safe.  Fingers crossed for Cat!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário