segunda-feira, 16 de setembro de 2013

The X Factor Australia 2013 Top 10

Same old intro:

Hello! How y'all doing? It's been a long time since my last post so I decided to start something new that will make me post more regularly. I'll be commenting on and rating The X Factor Australia 2013 performances, from the Top 12 (first live shows) and on! A good reminder to the people who might reading this is that this will be entirely based on my opinion, I never studied music or any experience on performing or anything like that so it's perfectly ok to disagree with me once you respect it. I'm doing this purely for fun and to keep using the English language. So, here we go.

Note: While the opinion is 100% mine, the format I'll be using and the overall inspiration to review the contest in a blog comes from Music is the door blog, so please, consider checking his/her blog as well.


Now let's go to the point...



Double-post! Last week's performances were really disappointing to me so I was really not excited about commenting on them.  So today, I'm gonna be posting about last week (top 10) and this week (top 9).  For this one, my comments are going to be really brief and underdeveloped because I really didn't enjoy it. Note that my predictions for the elimination were made just as I watched the performances even if I can't really prove it.  Ok, let's go back to the point.  Like I predicted, Cat's efforts were not enough to put her through :( But Joelle was a big surprise to me, I didn't like her performance but I wasn't expecting her to be in the bottom 2 so early in the competition.  I adore Joelle but honestly, she's so lost in the competition I think she should have gone home instead.


 
Third D3gree - Wild (Jessie J)

Performance: 8
After last week's spectacle, this was ok, I totally prefer when they split up and dominate the whole stage and have big flashes on them, so this was good but in my opinion, not as great as they had been doing.

Vocals: 9
It was not flawless but it was a really great performance vocally.  Jacinta is an amazing vocalist.

Song: 9
I'm starting to dig this song so this performance came in good time.  Great song choice but from now on I wanna seem them showing more sassiness like they did in "No Diggity".

Jai Waetford - The Way You Make Me Feel (Michael Jackson)

Performance: 9
Very fun, entertaining performance, I adored the production and choreography, he fits well the "I'm a mini popstar" title and even if I don't enjoy him, I can't deny it was great.

Vocals: 7
I honestly have nothing to say about his vocals because just like every other week, he good but I hate his voice.

Song: 8
I think it was a good song choice, it fit him well and he did a good job.  Unlike performance-wise, vocally it didn't push him any further, it was a safe, but good song choice.


Barry Southgate - California Gurls (Katy Perry)

Performance: 8
He's a great performer, he looks comfortable on stage, but he sounds so karaoke that he would have to be an outstanding performer to prove he's worth the spot.

Vocals: 7
I kinda feel bad for him because I feel like he's trying, he's fighting for it but I honestly don't see him going any further than a backup singer or a support act.

Song: 5
What the hell was Dannii thinking when she picked this song? It doesn't suit him by any means! I see that she's been trying to take him away from the cliche and predictability but it's simply not working.  After this performance, I would be packing up my things and preparing to go home.


Ellie Lovegrove - I'm Like A Bird (Nelly Furtado)

Performance: 8
The same as her "Songbird" performance but a little bit better: taking away the distractions and focusing on her is a great option when it's going to be spectacular, other than that, it feels a bit empty.  But I liked it.

Vocals: 8
She sounded good, but Nelly brings me so many feelings when she sings this song, I was expecting more from Ellie to make it really kick off.

Song: 10
Very smart song choice, it really fit her voice like a glove.


Omar Dean - Cry Me a River (Justin Timberlake)

Performance: 8
Is this real life? I adored an Omar's performance! Lol, but honestly, my only concern and the reason why I didn't give him a higher grade is that it's not one of those performances that make me want to replay it over and over again because he just doesn't offer anything new or interesting enough to it.  I'm really surprised though.

Vocals: 10
As much as I hate his falsetto, it was spot on on this performance, it just felt right, I really enjoyed it.

Song: 10
Aside the fact that he doesn't bring anything new to it, I can't think of a better song for him right now.  Score up for Ronan. 


JTR - Everybody Talks (Neon Trees)

Performance: 8
I liked it! To my point of view, they performed great and worked well the audience, I think it was a funny performance and a very speed recovery from last week's total disaster.

Vocals: 8
They're still very weak and cheesy vocally to me but I did enjoy this performance so I'm giving them some credit for that.

Song: 10
I love this song and that was an awesome song choice for them, normally I would be giving it a 9 but since we're talking about Natalie, it's definitely worth a 10.


Joelle - Locked Out of Heaven (Bruno Mars)

Performance: 7
The stage looked so empty for this song it almost looked like it was a Last Chance Performance.  The whole screen design looked gorgeous, it was beautiful to watch but when it comes to Joelle herself performing I'd say it was weak.

Vocals: 9
She sounded great and her tone is gorgeous.  Not much more to say apart from that.

Song: 8
I really hate this song but I must say she made it bearable and it quite did well with her voice.  But when it comes to personality and who she is musically, she's completely lost in the competition! I was afraid Jiordan would be this year's Bella Ferraro but Joelle grabbed that title, unfortunately.


Taylor Henderson - I Will Wait (Mumford & Sons)

Performance: 8
Pretty stage, I liked it but it wasn't awesome.

Vocals: 8
I think this song suited him like no other in the competition had before so this is a big step up.  I can see him growing on me from now on and that he found his style back in the competition.  For this performance, I'll keep the an 8 though.

Song: 9
Like I said, great song choice for him, I can finally really notice him in the competition.


Dami Im - Don't Leave Me This Way (Thelma Houston)

Peformance: 9
I really enjoyed seeing Dami stepping out of her comfort zone and keeping the bar high with a great performance.   There's still work to be done with her when it comes to performing and stuff but she's on the right track.

Vocals: 10
Sparkling vocals, great job once again.

Song: 9
Disco fit Dami well but still doesn't make her a very "current" singer.  She's awesome but I'm still hoping Dannii to show Australia that Dami can not only win but be a successful artist without becoming someone else.

Jiordan Tolli - With or Without You (U2)

Performance: 10
Gorgeous performance, it couldn't have been any different.  I barely missed the technical issue to be honest.

Vocals: 9
Her tone is so gorgeous and unique, she just makes the songs sound special.  I just love her.

Song: 9
I'm not 100% fond of this song, and that's the only reason why this wasn't another flawless performance, but it was still very beautiful and a great song choice.



So here are my ratings for the night's performances.  Just as a reminder, I'm weighting 2,5 for Performance, 2 for vocals and 1 for Song.
1 - Jiordan Tolli (9,4)
2 - Dami Im (9,4)
3 - Omar Dean (9,1)
4 - Third D3gree (8,5)
5 - JTR (8,4)
6 - Ellie Lovegrove (8,4)
7 - Taylor Henderson (8,2)
8 - Jai Waetford (8,1)
9 - Joelle (7,9)
10 - Barry Southgate (7,7)

Overall I think it was a weak, tiring night but I was really surprised to have enjoyed JTR and Omar this much.  Still, I'm craving for Joelle to step it up and surprise me next week.  Overall ratings:

1 - Dami Im (9,7)
2 - Jiordan Tolli (9,4)
3 - Third D3gree (9,0)
4 - Ellie Lovegrove (8,5)
5 - Taylor Henderson (8,2)
6 - Joelle (8,0)
7 - Jai Waetford (7,9)
8 - Barry Southgate (7,7)
9 - Omar Dean (7,6)
10 - JTR (7,5)

There's no escape for Barry tonight.  Weak performance, no popularity, one of the firsts to perform = going home

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário