sábado, 31 de agosto de 2013

The X Factor Australia 2013 Top 12 (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Hello! How y'all doing? It's been a long time since my last post so I decided to start something new that will make me post more regularly. I'll be commenting on and rating The X Factor Australia 2013 performances, from the Top 12 (first live shows) and on! A good reminder to the people who might reading this is that this will be entirely based on my opinion, I never studied music or any experience on performing or anything like that so it's perfectly ok to disagree with me once you respect it. I'm doing this purely for fun and to keep using the English language. So, here we go.

Note: While the opinion is 100% mine, the format I'll be using and the overall inspiration to review the contest in a blog comes from Music is the door blog, so please, consider checking his/her blog as well.


Now let's go to the point, the performances...



 
 (click the image to watch the performance)
Third D3gree - #thatPOWER (will.I.am feat. Justin Bieber) 

Performance: 10
I loved it! These guys are the most exciting act and they did a really great job.  Everytime the camera
focused on one of them, I wanted to see what the other two were doing, they're so interesting and fresh.

Vocals: 9
The vocals were good but the way they delivered their vocals on bootcamp and the judges' house was way more interesting.  Jordan took the lead vocals and since he's the weakest of them (I don't mean he is bad btw), it's not the best choice for the competition.

Song: 8
I don't really like this song and when it was announced they would be singing will.I.am, I was hoping it would be Scream & Shout actually.  Besides, this song made Jordan take the lead vocals, which as I said before, is not the best option for the group, but since we're they have Natalie Bassingthwaighte as their mentor, we can't expect that much.  If Guy Sebastian still was in the show, these guys will win straightaway.
 

(click the image to watch the performance)
Barry Southgate - When I Get You Alone (Robin Thicke)

Performance: 8
I think it was a good performance but not a great one.  I can see he's slowly improving but after Dannii basically made it clear she preferred Michael and only put Barry through because of his looks, I was expecting him to step up more.

Vocals: 8
It was good but there's nothing on his voice that attracts me at all, it's pretty average tbh.

Song: 8
Once again, it was just ok.  The song suited his voice but it didn't make him shine or outlined anything interesting enough to me.  Maybe he's just not my type of singer but I'm not impressed so far.

(you know it already)
Jiordan Tolli - Smile (Lily Allen)

Performance: 9
It was great, I loved the production and the overall vibe of the performance, as I expected, RedFoo is a great mentor when it comes to production and performance.  Unfortunately, I don't think her theatrical skills (she's an actress too) were used to its most.

Vocals: 8
Vocals were good, though sometimes in the lower parts I don't think she sounded that great. Actually the thing about this song is that it doesn't really do her any favor vocally, but it was good.

Song: 7
I love this song but not for Jiordan.  As I pointed out already, it doesn't do her any favor (compare it to her previous performances which were gorgeous: this song is just not the best pick for her) so it really scares me to see Bella Ferraro happening again.

Taylor Henderson - I Won't Let You Go (James Morrison)

Performance: 8
It was a very simple performance, the song didn't really ask for something bigger so it's fine for me.  Taylor has never been on my radar and this wasn't enough to win me over as well.

Vocals: 8
I don't really like his falsetto and his voice alone are not enough to catch my attention.  Honestly, I thought it was average.

Song: 7
I wouldn't say this was a good song choice for him, I never heard the original version but I kept on imagining how would this song sound like in a different voice so I really don't feel it was a good song for him.


Cat Vas - Addicted to Love (Robert Palmer)

Performance: 10
Wow! Cat had been one of my favorites from the start but until this point, she had failed to really impress me.  Better late then ever, this was a really great surprise, and if you consider how she struggled with her confidence in past performances, this was a big improvement.  Amazing.

Vocals: 8
Cat doesn't have the most powerful voice of the competition and I feel like this song really pushed her vocally.  It was great even though I felt like her voice faded sometimes.  She's never been among the most popular contestants so I believe she must work on the whole package now to get it right and survive for more weeks.

Song: 8
I'm not sure about this song choice, I think overall it worked but I'm still in doubt of which kind of artist Cat is.  This performance was a very pleasant surprise, but I hope she doesn't fall into the same trap Anna Wilson did on The X Factor New Zealand: Great performances but not much personality and originality into the songs.


Adira-Belle - Run The World (Girls) (Beyoncé)



Performance: 10
I don't get the hate because I honestly love it! It's true the group is not so consistent, some of the girls are stronger vocalists and performers and some are weaker but I think they did a great job, I really liked watching it.

Vocals: 8
I think this was a spotty performance vocally, some parts were a little bit off, it wasn't consistent the whole time and it kind of concerns me because I'm not sure if they would be able to handle a 2 hour concert without going downhill.  Normally I'd say this could be fixed by training and experience but my expectations on Nat's mentoring are quite low.

Song: 10
Ronan stated this song was a bit too obvious for them and he wanted to see a softer side of them.  I don't disagree with him but since we're still in the first live shows, there's still so much work to be done that I don't feel like this was a wrong song choice.  Actually, this song is exactly what Adira-Belle is all about: Strength, girl power. 

Ellie Lovegrove - Songbird (Fleetwood Mac)

Peformance: 8
It was a very simple performance, I really like it when mentors take away all the production and "distractions" and focus on the beauty of the voice and the music but unfortunately, it did not go well for me.  I always adored Ellie but I don't think she was "flawless enough" to make up for the lack of production.

Vocals: 8
To my point of view, she sounded good but didn't go much further than that.  This song needs much more magic for me to really like it.

Song: 7
Like I just said, this song needs magic, I rarely ever like when it's performed on talent shows because no one till now really brought the magic it needed.  I'm sorry but I was not so keen on this performance.


JTR - Everything Has Changed (Taylor Swift feat. Ed Sheeran)

Performance: 7
Urgh, they're so not for me.  I rarely ever like boybands and this one is just too "teen" and "clean" for me.  Like Nat said, they need to be more edgy (although I feel like screaming girls love them the way they are.  But I definitely don't).  Another simple performance with nothing impressive at all.

Vocals: 7.
I don't like them vocally either, their voices annoy me and they're very weak.  

Song: 8
I'm not a big fan of this song, neither am I of the guys so nothing really pleased me about this performance.


Omar Dean - Numb (Usher)

Performance: 7
I didn't really like it, I felt like he was uncomfortable, maybe he's nerves took the best of him but this performance just didn't translate to me.  I like the dancers and the production but I didn't feel Omar himself.

Vocals: 8
Omar is undoubtedly the best male vocalist of the competition but I can't say I like his tone and I'm not a big fan of guys who use too much falsettos on pop music.  He can sing but it's just not for me.

Song: 7
This was not the best song choice for his vocals and I don't like many Usher songs so this performance all in all was not for me.


Dami Im - One (U2)

Performance: 10
Yes! That's exactly what I always thought Dami lacked: A stage persona.  The floating piano was an awesome idea as well, it was incredible.

Vocals: 10
Her vocals are pretty flawless, there's not much to say about that.  This is amazing song she interpreted it magnificently.

Song: 10
Awesome song choice, awesome song, I hope Dannii keeps up the good work with her, show some versatility so that she won't sound too dated, but keep the amazing vocals and explore the best of her.  I'd also like to see a short piano solo further in the competition (Dami is a piano teacher so I believe that will be nice).


Joelle - Sweet Nothing (Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch)

Performance: 10
It was awesome, great production, she looked great and comfortable on stage, it fit the song well, I really loved it. 

Vocals: 9
Joelle has such an interesting tone, not everyone can pull out Florence and I think she did a great job, even though this song was not the best for her voice to shine, we're still in the very first live show and I believe there's room for a lot of improvement for her under Foo's mentoring.

Song: 9
Great song, great song choice, as I said before, it was not the best possible because Florence has such an amazing voice it's hard to compare someone with her vocally, but Joelle was able to make it her own and pull out a great job.


Jai Waetford - Fix You (Coldplay)

Performance: 8
Just like Ellie, simple production to focus on voice and song but not spectacular enough.  He looks comfortable on stage but he's just not special to me.

Vocals: 7
Eh, I don't like his voice.  He sings well but his voice is so damn childish (I know he's 14, but Vendulka and Calmell for example sound so much better than him at the same age) it annoys me.  He's talented but I would have sent him home and asked him to come back in two or three years so that he can mature his vocals and personality enough to fit the competition.  

Song: 10
Even so, it was a perfect song choice for him.  Ronan played it really safe with his acts last year, if he keeps it safe this year, Jai has a real chance of winning the show.  His version surely is nothing compared to the original but I have to say it suited him really well.



So, my ranking for Top 12 performances is:

1 - Dami Im (10)
2 - Joelle (9,4)
3 - Third D3gree (9,3)
4 - Adira-Belle (9,3)
5 - Cat Vas (8,9)
6 - Jiordan Tolli (8,3)
7 - Barry Southgate (8)
8 - Jai Waetford (8)
9 - Taylor Henderson (7,8)
10 - Ellie Lovegrove (7,8)
11 - Omar Dean (7,4)
12 - JTR (7,2)

Note: I used weighted mean: 2,5 for performance; 2 for vocals; 1 for song.

So this is it :) see you next week

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário