quinta-feira, 19 de setembro de 2013

The X Factor Australia 2013 Top 9

Hello! How y'all doing? It's been a long time since my last post so I decided to start something new that will make me post more regularly. I'll be commenting on and rating The X Factor Australia 2013 performances, from the Top 12 (first live shows) and on! A good reminder to the people who might reading this is that this will be entirely based on my opinion, I never studied music or any experience on performing or anything like that so it's perfectly ok to disagree with me once you respect it. I'm doing this purely for fun and to keep using the English language. So, here we go.

Note: While the opinion is 100% mine, the format I'll be using and the overall inspiration to review the contest in a blog comes from Music is the door blog, so please, consider checking his/her blog as well.


Now let's go to the point...





Just like I predicted, there was no escape for Barry this week and I can't say I'll miss him.  I was surprised by JTR in the bottom to be honest, I don't like them but they did great last week (wouldn't miss them though).


Ellie Lovegrove - Wings (Little Mix)

Performance: 9
Funny how I really enjoy Ellie better when she's having fun and performing on stage rather than just standing and singing, I think I like her better out of her comfort zone, she captivates me more.

Vocals: 8
She sang well but she struggled with the song, I think.  I liked it but it wasn't awesome.

Song: 8
As much as I love this side of Ellie, I think Natalie is totally right when she says Foo should pick a direction for Ellie and follow it because I don't know what kind of artist she is.


JTR - Want U Back (Cher Lloyd)

Performance: 8
It was a great performance, they worked well the audience.  Unfortunately, they're just too teen to me, not something I would buy.

Vocals: 7
They sing well but I still think they're weak.  The "rapping" part didn't really work, it would have been better if they had cut out.

Song: 8
Nah, it was a good song choice for them, I think it fits their style and public.


Taylor Henderson - Let Her Go (Passenger)

Performance: 8
This is definitely not a "performable" song so judging by the overall thing, I thought it was ok.  My thing with Taylor is that he never did something beyond that, he's good but I don't see anything special.

Vocals: 8
Still, nothing special.  This is a really beautiful song and I don't think it would catch my attention if I haven't known it before.

Song: 9
Still, it suits his style and is something I would expect from him, better than his previous performances. 

Joelle - True Love (P!nk feat. Lily Allen)

Performance: 8
Stage looked gorgeous and she seemed to be having fun and enjoying her time.  I liked that

Vocals: 6
On the other hand, I hated the vocals.  I didn't feel the energy, the interpretation of the song, I might be sounding too harsh on her because I'm huge P!nk fan but I didn't like it.  Note: It was funny to hear Ronan saying her performance didn't go anywhere vocally when neither does Jai's.  At least she has a gorgeous falsetto and beautiful tone.

Song: 6
That was such a bad song choice for her, I thought things would finally work out when I saw she would be singing P!nk but not this song! Once again, Foo picked the right artist, but the wrong song! Once she opens her range, specially her lower tones, I can imagine a wonderful interpretation of Sober.

Jai Waetford - It Will Rain (Bruno Mars)

Overall: 4
I'm sorry but I won't even divide into categories, I hate this song and Jai's voice annoys me, I refused to watch both combined until the end.

Jiordan Tolli - Burn (Ellie Goulding)

Performance: 9
Like Dannii said, she own the stage, she's got presence, I felt like she was in complete control of the whole thing.  The only reason why it wasn't perfect is that I think she could have worked better the audience, get next to them, interact a little bit.

Vocals: 9
Did she sound perfect? No.  But first, she was sick, and second, it didn't bother me at all, I don't like this song in Ellie's voice, but oddly enough, I loved it in Jiordan's!

Song: 8
It was nice to see her trying something new and it worked really well this time, unlike "Smile" performance.  The only thing I was not sure is how this song fits her voice, it's true I loved it but sometimes I wasn't sure if she was trying to sound like Ellie or just showing a different side of her voice other than the gorgeous deep tone we already know.  I loved it but I had this doubt in mind.


Third D3gree - Love The Way You Lie (Eminem feat. Rihanna)

Performance: 10
To be very honest, I'm not sure about this 10 because I didn't get those sticks on the ground.  Were they supposed to build some kind of path or something like that? I don't know but I don't like them.  It's just that the overall thing was just so beautiful I felt like I needed to give them a 10.

Vocals: 10
Jordan is stepping up and proving why he was chosen to be on this group and I honestly appreciate that.  Kelebek's rapping was fantastic, the whole performance sounded amazing.

Song: 10
Seems like Natalie is getting her things together this year! This was such an awesome song choice for them.


Omar Dean - Skyscraper (Demi Lovato)

Performance: 8
Not bad, not great either.  Nothing much to say about it.

Vocals: 7
He sounded good but I have to point out that singing the whole chorus in falsetto really annoyed me.  It could have sounded beautiful but it's still not for my taste.

Song: 9
That was an unexpected song choice for Omar but it really worked, I like that.  I didn't like it as much as his previous performance but it was certainly more interesting


Dami Im - Roar (Katy Perry)

Performance: 8
She did great but I didn't feel her as comfortable and good as last week.  I missed some more energy too.

Vocals: 9
Hm, I don't know, she sounded great but I felt like it was weaker than usual Dami.  I don't know if it was the song choice that didn't let her shine completely but I didn't enjoy it as much as I imagined

Song: 9
That was I was talking about when I asked for something modern and still Dami-ish.  The song fit her voice really well, I just wish she had developed more in terms of performance but great job


So, tonight's ranking goes:
1 - Third D3gree (10)
2 - Jiordan Tolli (9,0)
3 - Dami Im (8,5)
4 - Ellie Lovegrove (8,4)
5 - Taylor Henderson (8,2)
6 - Omar Dean (7,8)
7 - JTR (7,6)
8 - Joelle (6,9)
9 - Jai Waetford (4,0)
  
My predictions for bottom 2? Ellie: She did a great job but she's not popular.  Also, she was the first to sing so she's in real trouble.  Joelle: She's clearly popular but her performances have been so under her potential.  I don't know how long is Australia going to believe in her potential.

And for overall ranking:
1 - Third D3gree (9,4)
2 - Jiordan Tolli (9,2)
3 - Dami Im (9,2)
4 - Ellie Lovegrove (8,5)
5 - Taylor Henderson (8,2)
6 - Omar Dean (7,7)
7 - Joelle (7,6)
8 - JTR (7,5)
9 - Jai Waetford (6,3)

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário